Letter for all Parents and Caregivers
Social Media Post
Tuesday September 8, 2020
You may be aware of distressing reports about a video of a suicide circulating on social media platforms.
The clip has been reported in mainstream media and we are sending this letter home to ensure parents/caregivers are informed.
Please monitor your child. If they are presenting with signs of distress, staying connected and engaged with them is one of the best ways to support them. Reactions and feelings can vary in response to such events. You can let your child know that you will listen to their concerns at any time.
Some helpful ways to limit your child’s exposure to harmful content online include:
- Engage in your child’s online activities – ask what apps, sites and games they’re using and make sure they’re age-appropriate
- Use parental controls on devices to help limit what your child is exposed to
- Help them report and block upsetting content they see on social media sites or apps
- Let them know they can come to you about anything upsetting they see online
The eSafety commissioner is encouraging people who encounter this content to report it to the social media platform they’ve seen it on, or to eSafety at www.esafety.gov.au/report/illegal-harmful-content.
If you or your child have been impacted, you can contact:
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 Phone support is there all day, every day. Online support is open from 8am-midnight every day (AEST).
- Suicide Callback Service 1300 659 467 Phone support all day, every day, and follow-up calls.
- eHeadspace 1800 650 890 Open 9am-1am daily (AEST)
- Lifeline 13 11 14 Phone support all day, every day. Online support 7pm-4am daily (AEST)
- Beyondblue 1300 22 4636 Phone support all day, every day. Online support 3pm-midnight every day.
Please also feel free to contact the school if you have any concerns about your child to discuss additional support measures that can be put in place.
Indie School Albury students have access to rapid antigen home testing kits from Monday November 8, 2021.